WHAT TO DO AFTER A TRUCK ACCIDENT
Being involved in a truck accident can be a harrowing experience. Many truck accident victims suffer serious personal injuries, and multiple people may be affected by a single accident. To make matters more overwhelming, trucking companies will send out lawyers and representatives as quickly as possible to protect their interests at the scene of an accident. With so much going on, it can be confusing to know what to do next in order to protect your rights after a truck accident.
Taking Action After a Truck Accident
In the immediate aftermath of a truck accident, remember these key steps:
- Make sure all victims are out of immediate danger. Move the vehicles from traffic when it is safe.
- Call 911. Everyone at the scene should be examined by emergency personnel, even if they do not seem seriously injured at the time.
- Give a concise, factual statement to the police. Avoid talking about who was at fault. You may not yet have all the facts you need to make such judgments.
- Make sure you get a copy of the police report. Take down the name of the investigating officer and the report number in case you lose your copy.
- Collect information about the truck and its driver, including license plate information for both the truck and the trailer, names, identification, commercial license numbers, insurance information, and other contact information.
- Collect names and contact information from any witnesses.
- Take pictures of the accident, including vehicle damage, visible injuries, skid marks, the condition of the truck’s tires, loose cargo, and other essential equipment (like underride guards and reflectors).
Experienced Orlando Truck Accident Lawyers
If you are seriously injured, contact our experienced Orlando, Florida truck accident lawyer, Michael Barszcz, M.D., J.D., as soon as possible. He will thoroughly investigate the crash, collect evidence, witness testimonies, medical reports, and the other important information you need to establish your personal injury case. While you focus on recovering, we will focus on aggressively representing you against the trucking company and their lawyers.